The art of design and technology as a faculty has been allowing students to accept challenges, use resources in creating real-life models of utilities and act as responsible citizens creating a better tomorrow. Design and technology allows a study of the past and present and critically understand the design required every day.
Key Stage 1 Curriculum: Design & Technology
KS1 is an integral part of the National Curriculum of England which has been introduced with the Education Reform Act, 1988. When the national curriculum was first introduced, legally, it was valid for both England and Wales. It was later that England alone was subjected to the British National Curriculum. In the year 2014, the National Curriculum was planned to cover a large age group of local authority maintained schools present across England.
The Objective of the Study
With the aim of encouraging the innovative and creative instincts of the individuals, design and technology curriculum was incorporated as a significant foundation subject within the focus of the primary design and technology foundation curriculum.
The program of study of design technology stretches in the same manner across the two years of Key Stage 1 and some of the key tenets are:
- Students should be encouraged throughout the design and technology foundation curriculum to form blueprints of calculated, practical, and engaging products for the purpose of usage by themselves and by others based on the parameters of design technology
- They should be coaxed to form, generate, disseminate, and communicate their thoughts and ideas through conversations, designing, mock-ups, and templates as well as optimum utilization of information and communication technology
- Students should have adequate exposure to the diverse range of equipment and tools related to design technology which could aid them in the performance of tasks on a practical basis
- They should be taught the ability to choose from a wide range of elements and materials while pursuing the design and technology foundation curriculum, involving factors like textiles and ingredients as well as construction materials as per their characteristics with the help of design and technology KS1 lesson plans.
- Students should be able to indulge in a critical assessment, evaluation and exploration of the wide range of products present in the realms of design and technology.
- They should be guided to evaluate their own products and ideas as against the parameters of the design standards at the end of the design and technology foundation curriculum.
- Possessing the ability to construct structures as well as exploring the ways and means through following the design and technology KS1 lesson plans by which they could use design and technology in a more robust, stronger and more stable way.
- They should be sufficiently equipped with the knowledge of different mechanisms like wheels, levers, sliders, and axles as well as be able to use them in their products that are required in the design and technology-based activities.
Cooking and Nutrition
- Utilization of the fundamentals of a nutritious and healthy diet for the purpose of preparing dishes while understanding the design and technology KS1 lesson plans.
- Possessing the necessary understanding pertaining to the source of food.
KS 1 includes two years of schooling within the context of maintained schools in England and Whales. This pertains to year 1 and 2 and involves students in the age group of 5-7. However, Key Stage 1 may correspond to the infant school in certain cases. Other than this, KS 1 may as well form a part of the first or the primary school.
The studies under the KS1 design and technology program thus ensures that each of the students pursuing the same can simultaneously develop the inertia to create, and the practical knowledge to build a real-life model through appropriate designing, making the idea usable in reality.
For more information Click Here